Today almost feels like the "March of Biotech-inguins" because most of the movers were small companies you might otherwise miss. Here were the big movers:
- Barrier Therapeutics (NASDAQ: BTRX) ran way up after first quarter results reported yesterday showed a 207% increase in revenues from last year at $8.4 million, driven by growth in sales of Vusion and Xolegel. Shares closed up 18% at $2.29 on a 52-week range of $1.90 to $7.60.
- BioMarin Pharmaceutical Inc. (NASDAQ: BMRN) showed a first quarter positive profit or $0.02 EPS on a net income of $1.7 million. Analysts expected losses of $0.05 EPS. Earnings were driven primarily by sales of enzyme replacement therapy Naglazyme. Shares closed up almost 8% at $36.46. The 52-week range is $15.99 to $41.00.
- Discovery Labs (NASDAQ: DSCO) trading up in anticipation of FDA approval for lung surfactant, Surfaxin, a treatment for premature infants suffering from respiratory distress. The company communicated confidence that any regulatory concerns have been ironed out and this third FDA result will be positive. Shares rose 17% to $2.87. The 52-week range is $1.75 to $3.75.
- Endo Pharmaceuticals (NASDAQ: ENDP) settled a proxy battle with shareholder D.E. Shaw by nominating William Spangler to the board. They posted earnings today showing a net income of $59.53 and $0.44 EPS. Shares closed down 0.7% at $24.83. The 52-week range is $22.62 to $35.85.
- Mannkind Corporation (NASDAQ: MNKD) up over 16% in anticipation of earnings release Monday. Shares up $0.37 at $2.60 at the close. The 52-week range is $1.86 to $14.71.
- Molecular Insight Pharma (NASDAQ: MIPI) up almost 7% today on no news, although some just may be the thin volume and wide bid/ask spread. The oncology molecular imaging pharmaceutical company is sitting at $7.83 on a 52-week range of $5.66 to $12.95.
- Questcor (AMEX: QSC) down despite posting strong first quarter results showing a positive net income of $6.5 million compared to a loss of $3.8 in first quarter 2007. The company also amended agreement Acthar distribution discount prices, positively impacting Questcor cash flows. Shares closed down 2.5% at $4.24. The 52-week range is $0.21 to $6.60.
- Techne Corp. (NASDAQ: TECH) up after third quarter profit jumped 24% to $29.6 million or $0.76 EPS, beating estimates. Shares closed at $72.52, up 1%, on a 52-week range of $54.49 to $72.00.
April 30, 2008