The shut-down of Hostess Brands has created the near-term death of Twinkies. What is so amazing is that there really are real-life character just like in Zombieland who are going to extreme measures to get a Twinkie these days. eBay Inc. (NASDAQ: EBAY) has become the de facto marketplace for the sugary food. Even today we have seen several sales go off on eBay:
- 1 Dozen Hostess Raspberry Filled Donuts (so 2 boxes) & free Twinkie 2 pack sold for $14.00
- Hostess Twinkie RARE “Wonder Zip N Fresh Bags” 150 Bags sold for $19.99.
- Hostess Twinkies “Twinkie The Kid” Coffin Box and Single Twinkie sold for $10.00
- Hostess Twinkies 10 Count Box Golden Sponge Cake with Creamy Filling sold for $16.50
- VARIETY HOSTESS TWINKIES/CHOCOLATE/CUPCAKES/ZINGERS/RASPBERRY DONUTS FRESH 46/pc sold for $30.00 (with 21 bids).
- New in Box Hostess Twinkies, 1 box 24 -Count Individually Wrapped Golden Cakes sold for $20.50 (with 9 bids).
- Not a Twinkie to eat, but a rare Hostess Vintage Metal Aluminum Sign Ding Dong Twinkie Twinkies Ad sold for $211.93 (with 18 bids).
Late yesterday came a sale of a lot of three Hostess Twinkies, Ding Dongs and Zingers that sold for $32.00 with 21 bids.
The good news is that these last close to forever, so Twinkie sales will probably remain in this market for some time. Wait a minute, is that really good news? This probably marked the end of the deep-fried-Twinkie.