October 28, 2013: U.S. markets opened slightly lower Monday morning and indexes wobbled around for a bit before settling. The DJIA and S&P 500 have managed to remain moderately higher, but the Nasdaq composite is slightly lower. Industrial production was better than expected, but pending home sales tumbled 5.6%. Severe weather in the U.K. kept European trading volumes lower than usual today
European markets closed mostly lower today, while Asian and Latin American markets closed higher.
Tuesday’s calendar includes the beginning of the two-day FOMC meeting and the following scheduled data releases and events (all times Eastern):
- 8:30 a.m. – Producer price index
- 8:30 a.m. – Retail sales
- 9:00 a.m. – S&P Case-Shiller house price index
- 10:00 a.m. – Business inventories
- 10:00 a.m. – Conference Board consumer confidence index
- 11:30 a.m. – 4-week bill auction
- 1:00 p.m. – 5-year note auction
Here are the closing bell levels for Monday:
- S&P500 1762.11 (+2.34; +0.13%)
- DJIA 15568.93 (-1.35; -0.01)
- NASDAQ 3940.13 (-3.23; -0.08%)
- 10YR TNOTE 2.52% (-0.03125)
- Gold $1,352.20 (-0.30; flat)
- WTI Crude oil $98.68 (+0.83; +0.9%)
- Euro/Dollar: 1.3788 (-0.0020; -0.14%)
Big Earnings Movers: Petroleo Brasileiro SA (NYSE: PBR) is up 9.1% at $17.35 after reporting earnings and getting a ratings boost. Merck & Co. Inc. (NYSE: MRK) is down 2.5% at $45.39 as the company struggles to boost revenues. Burger King Worldwide Inc. (NYSE: BKW) is up 5.8% at $20.91 as franchise revenues rose much faster than costs. Loews Corp. (NYSE: L) is down 0.2% at $48.70.
Stocks on the Move: J.C. Penney Co. Inc. (NYSE: JCP) is up 8.8% at $7.39 after the CEO said he still expects positive growth in third-quarter same-store sales. Facebook Inc. (NASDAQ: FB) is down 3.3% at $50.25 as investors weigh Facebook against the pending Twitter Inc. IPO. Dendreon Corp. (NASDAQ: DNDN) is up 11.1% at $2.81 on talk of a sale of the company. Fusion-io Inc. (NYSE: FIO) is up 16.1% at $11.08 after reports of insider buying.
In all, 175 NYSE stocks put up new 52-week highs today, while just 9 stocks posted new lows.