November 25, 2013: U.S. equity markets opened higher Monday morning following the agreement reached over the weekend between Iran and a group of six nations including the U.S. that have negotiated to lift some sanctions on Iran in exchange for a reduction in the country’s nuclear development program. Markets gave back early gains late in the day to finish mixed.
European markets closed mostly higher, while Asian and Latin American markets closed mixed today.
Tuesday’s calendar includes the following scheduled data releases and events (all times Eastern):
- 8:30 a.m. – Housing starts (new permits only; data collection still suffers from government shutdown in October)
- 9:00 a.m. – FHFA house price index
- 9:00 a.m. – Case-Shiller house price index
- 10:00 a.m. – Conference Board consumer confidence index
- 10:00 a.m. – Richmond Fed manufacturing index
- 11:30 a.m. – 4-week bill auction
- 1:00 p.m. – 5-year note auction
Here are the closing bell levels for Monday:
- S&P500 1802.48 (-2.28; -0.13%)
- DJIA 16072.54 (+7.77; +0.05%)
- NASDAQ 3994.57 (+2.92; +0.07%)
- 10YR TNOTE 2.736% (+0.09375)
- Gold $1,241.20 (-2.90; -0.2%)
- WTI Crude oil $94.09 (-0.75; -0.8%)
- Euro/Dollar: 1.3520 (-0.0030; -0.26%)
Big Earnings Movers: Qihoo 360 Technology Co. Ltd. (NYSE: QIHU) is down 9.5% at $78.34. SeaDrill Ltd. (NYSE: SDRL) is down 6.1% at $42.47.
Stocks on the Move: Ariad Pharmaceuticals Inc. (NASDAQ: ARIA) is up 35.7% at $5.13. Camtek Inc. (NASDAQ: CAMT) is up 71.7% at $4.55 after saying that a 3D printer is coming next year from the company. Sungy Mobile Ltd. (NASDAQ: GOMO) is up 28.8% at $17.19 after last Friday’s IPO. InterCloud Systems Inc. (NASDAQ: ICLD) is down 28.2% at $9.20.
In all, 240 NYSE stocks put up new 52-week highs today, while 56 stocks posted new lows.