31. New Mexico
> Bar name: El Patio Cantina (temporarily closed)
> City: Mesilla
> Original bar founded: 1934
El Patio Cantina was established in 1934, just after Prohibition ended, in a building that has seen more than its fair share of history. It reportedly dates back to the mid-19th century and was owned by Albert Jennings Fountain, a Civil War veteran and lawyer whose most famous client was Billy the Kid. As well as El Patio Cantina, it has housed the Butterfield Overland Mail, the Mesilla Times, and even a post office.
32. New York
> Bar name: The Old ‘76 House
> City: Tappan
> Original bar founded: 1755
The building that houses the Old ‘76 House dates back to 1668. Known as Mabie’s Inn, during the American Revolution and the nation’s early years it hosted George Washington and many Continental Army generals. In 1780, it was where British spy John Andre, who plotted with Benedict Arnold, was confined before his execution.
33. North Carolina
> Bar name: Tavern
> City: Salem
> Original bar founded: 1784
The Tavern in Salem dates back to 1784 and an annex was added in 1816. It houses a restaurant that serves dishes inspired by the local Moravian community, as well as craft beers, wine, and mixed drinks. Famous visitors include George Washington, who spent two nights there in 1791. The Tavern was designated a National Historic Monument in 1964.
34. North Dakota
> Bar name: Peacock Alley American Grill and Bar
> City: Bismarck
> Original bar founded: 1933
Located in what was the lobby of the Patterson Hotel, Peacock Alley American Grill and Bar opened when Prohibition ended. The hotel has since been converted into senior housing, but the bar remains. The Peacock Alley still has the original Herman Kretz vintage decor, and the scroll decoration around the door area inspired the bar’s name.
> Bar name: Spread Eagle Tavern
> City: Hanoverton
> Original bar founded: 1837
The three-story building that houses Spread Eagle Tavern is considered a good example of Federal Period architecture. One of the legends surrounding the tavern is that Abraham Lincoln paid it a visit in 1864. It was also a stop on the Underground Railroad.