Special Report

Each State's Death Toll in America's Post 9/11 Wars

45. Alaska
> State residents killed in post 9/11 conflicts: 0.4% of all US deaths (25 total)
> State residents killed in Iraq War: 0.4% of US deaths in conflict (17 total)
> State residents killed in Afghanistan War: 0.3% of US deaths in conflict (08 total)
> Veterans who served in post 9/11 era living in state: 4.1% of adult population (21,759 total)

44. South Dakota
> State residents killed in post 9/11 conflicts: 0.4% of all US deaths (26 total)
> State residents killed in Iraq War: 0.4% of US deaths in conflict (20 total)
> State residents killed in Afghanistan War: 0.3% of US deaths in conflict (06 total)
> Veterans who served in post 9/11 era living in state: 1.9% of adult population (12,591 total)

43. Montana
> State residents killed in post 9/11 conflicts: 0.6% of all US deaths (38 total)
> State residents killed in Iraq War: 0.6% of US deaths in conflict (29 total)
> State residents killed in Afghanistan War: 0.4% of US deaths in conflict (09 total)
> Veterans who served in post 9/11 era living in state: 2.5% of adult population (21,251 total)

42. New Hampshire
> State residents killed in post 9/11 conflicts: 0.6% of all US deaths (40 total)
> State residents killed in Iraq War: 0.5% of US deaths in conflict (23 total)
> State residents killed in Afghanistan War: 0.7% of US deaths in conflict (17 total)
> Veterans who served in post 9/11 era living in state: 1.5% of adult population (17,199 total)

Source: virsuziglis / iStock via Getty Images

41. West Virginia
> State residents killed in post 9/11 conflicts: 0.6% of all US deaths (41 total)
> State residents killed in Iraq War: 0.6% of US deaths in conflict (26 total)
> State residents killed in Afghanistan War: 0.6% of US deaths in conflict (15 total)
> Veterans who served in post 9/11 era living in state: 1.4% of adult population (20,218 total)

Sponsored: Find a Qualified Financial Advisor

Finding a qualified financial advisor doesn’t have to be hard. SmartAsset’s free tool matches you with up to 3 fiduciary financial advisors in your area in 5 minutes. Each advisor has been vetted by SmartAsset and is held to a fiduciary standard to act in your best interests. If you’re ready to be matched with local advisors that can help you achieve your financial goals, get started now.