Lazard Capital Markets’ Sanjay Shrestha, who covers alternative energy and infrastructure for the firm, has come out and maintained his Buy ratings on many key solar stocks this morning. The catalyst is ahead of Photon International annual Photovoltaic Technology Show next week in Munich, Germany. Here are the targets on several stocks:
- Energy Conversion Devices, Inc. (NASDAQ: ENER) maintained BUY with $26.57 current price, target price is $40.00.
- Evergreen Solar (NASDAQ: ESLR) maintained BUY with $8.39 current price, target price is $15.00.
- First Solar, Inc. (NASDAQ: FSLR) maintained BUY with $209.50 current price, target price is $250.00.
- SunPower Corporation (NASDAQ: SPWR) maintained BUY with $68.24 current price, target price is $185.00.
- Suntech Power Holdings Co. Ltd.(NYSE: STP) maintained BUY with $34.45 current price, target is $90.00.
Shrestha’s favorite long-term names remain SunPower, Suntech, and First Solar, with Suntech and SunPower having significantly underperformed the group YTD. He also noted, "We believe companies with the right strategic alignment for silicon supply, a vertically integrated model providing sourcing flexibility, and solid downstream presence will perform well."
We have noted several alternative energy stocks in our "10 Stocks Under $10" weekly newsletter and we have two active calls. One of the calls just went on for the first time this week after its stock price reached greatly oversold levels. The upside if it hits our target was close to 50%, yet the average target from analysts would be essentially a stock double if the stock reaches their targets.
Jon C. Ogg
March 25, 2008
Jon Ogg produces the Special Situation Investing Newsletter and can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org; he does not own securities in the companies he covers.