- You’ve always got some weak stocks that hit 52-week lows, particularly in a bear market. But there were many active stand-out names today that normally don’t appear on this screen.
- 3Com Corporation (NASDAQ: COMS) dropped over 20% on news that agreement with Bain has not yet been reached and may never happen. New low of $2.08 from $2.69. The 52 week high is $5.11.
- CROCS Inc. (NASDAQ: CROX) is another victim of recession jitters, deserved or not. Maybe the ugly-cool really was just a fad, and fads are bad for stocks when they go away. New low of $16.20, with late trading at $16.60. The 52 week high is $75.10.
- LM Ericsson Telephone Co. (NASDAQ: ERIC) fell 10% after its Sony Ericsson venture issued an earnings warning and profit decreases and projects lower cell-phone demand this year. Down to $17.4 late in the day with low of $17.04 from a 52-week high of $43.41.
- Monster Worldwide Inc. (NASDAQ: MNST) downgraded due to decreased estimates resulting from increased media expenses. Down to $23.66 from a 52-week high of $50.28.
- Ryanair Holdings plc (NASDAQ: RYAAY) down to $24.82 from $49.59. No gold and 4-leaf clovers from the leprechaun for this Irish discount airliner to the E.U.…or maybe their staff is still celebrating St. Patrick’s Day.
- Origin Agritech Limited (NASDAQ: SEED), the Chinese crop seed company, needs a little rain and sunshine. Down to $4.85.
- SanDisk Corp. (NASDAQ: SNDK) is another victim of the market volatility. Down to $21.01 from a high of $59.75.
- VMware, Inc. (NYSE: VMW) down despite positive growth and sales projections for the ultra hot-hot virtualization trend that will grow no matter what for the next 5 years. Tech stocks taking a beating. Late day lows $42.68 from a 52-week high of $125.25.
- YRC Worldwide Inc. (NASDAQ: YRCW) high prices and weak demand for truckers are slowing this ride, plus a competitor warned again. Lowest price since 1998 of $10.99. 52-week high of $45.99.
As a reminder, the 52-week low list is where many fund managers and traders go looking for opportunities. Sometimes the baby is thrown out with the bathwater, and sometimes they throw out the whole house and family with it.
Jon C. Ogg
March 19, 2008