Special Report

These Are The States That Gained (and Lost) the Most Congressional Seats

Source: knowlesgallery / Getty Images

Idaho
> Number of representatives based on 2020 Census: 2
> Change from 2010 apportionment: 0
> Population change 2010-2020: 17.3% — 2nd largest increase
> Resident population, Apr 1, 2020 1,839,106 — 13th smallest
> Resident population, Apr 1, 2010 1,567,582 — 12th smallest

Source: Davel5957 / Getty Images

Indiana
> Number of representatives based on 2020 Census: 9
> Change from 2010 apportionment: 0
> Population change 2010-2020: 4.7% — 19th smallest increase
> Resident population, Apr 1, 2020 6,785,528 — 17th largest
> Resident population, Apr 1, 2010 6,483,802 — 15th largest

Source: pabradyphoto / Getty Images

Iowa
> Number of representatives based on 2020 Census: 4
> Change from 2010 apportionment: 0
> Population change 2010-2020: 4.7% — 20th smallest increase
> Resident population, Apr 1, 2020 3,190,369 — 20th smallest
> Resident population, Apr 1, 2010 3,046,355 — 21st smallest

Source: Davel5957 / Getty Images

Kansas
> Number of representatives based on 2020 Census: 4
> Change from 2010 apportionment: 0
> Population change 2010-2020: 3.0% — 11th smallest increase
> Resident population, Apr 1, 2020 2,937,880 — 16th smallest
> Resident population, Apr 1, 2010 2,853,118 — 18th smallest

Source: alexeys / Getty Images

Kentucky
> Number of representatives based on 2020 Census: 6
> Change from 2010 apportionment: 0
> Population change 2010-2020: 3.8% — 15th smallest increase
> Resident population, Apr 1, 2020 4,505,836 — 25th smallest
> Resident population, Apr 1, 2010 4,339,367 — 25th smallest