Business Economists Still Fretting
October 29, 2012 8:16 am
Other highlights from the survey:
- In the finance, insurance and real estate sector, 63% of respondents reported rising sales, while only 6% noted declining sales.
- More than half (58%) said profit margins were flat in the past three months, while 27% reported rising profits and 15% reported falling profits.
- About 20% reported price increases during the past three months, compared with just 9% reporting price increase in July.
- About two-thirds do not expect price changes in the current quarter, somewhat less than the 74% who did not expect price changes in July.
- Some 60% said that materials costs to their firms had not changed in the past three months, compared with 65% in the July survey.
The NABE noted that anxiety over the crisis in Europe has subsided somewhat, although the approaching fiscal cliff remains a “significant” concern.