What to Expect From Pfizer, Biogen and Allergan Earnings Tuesday Morning
This is already a huge week for earnings, as nearly half of the Dow Jones industrial average is reporting, and roughly 150 companies in the S&P 500 as well. Needless to say, this will be a huge week for companies in the health care sector, with a few big names coming out.
The Chinese coronavirus is already bringing a lot of attention to the sector, and quite a few companies stand to gain from this. While this coronavirus scare may be over relatively quickly, earnings and fundamentals will be a driving force for companies in the sector in the months to come.
All three of the following companies included are reporting earnings on Tuesday morning, but there will be even more coming out later this week. We have included what analysts are calling for, as well as a recent trading history and consensus targets.
Pfizer Inc. (NYSE: PFE) shares are up about 8% over the past quarter, but the stock is actually down nearly 3% in the past 52 weeks. If Pfizer wants to break out from here, it will have to top the consensus estimates of $0.57 in earnings per share (EPS) and $12.61 billion in revenue. The same period of last year reportedly had $0.64 in EPS and $13.98 billion in revenue.
Here’s what a few analysts have said about Pfizer:
- RBC has an Outperform rating and a $46 price target.
- Credit Suisse has a Hold rating.
- JPMorgan has a Neutral rating.
- Merrill Lynch has a Neutral rating and a $37 price target.
Pfizer stock was last seen trading at $39.92, in a 52-week range of $33.97 to $44.56. The consensus price target is $42.33.
Allergan PLC (NYSE: AGN) is in the process of being acquired by AbbVie, but before then it will report its fourth-quarter results. The consensus estimates are $4.57 in EPS and $4.09 billion in revenue. In the same period of last year, it said it had $4.29 in EPS and $4.08 billion in revenue.
Allergan stock has underperformed the broad markets with a gain of only 19% in the past 52 weeks. In the past quarter, the stock is up closer to 7.5%.
A few analysts have weighed in on Allergan:
- Wells Fargo rates it as Equal Weight with a $198 price target.
- UBS Group has a Neutral rating and a $203 price target.
- RBC has a Hold rating with a $178 price target.
Allergan traded at $189.44 a share, in a 52-week range of $114.27 to $194.61. The consensus price target is $190.14.
Biogen Inc. (NASDAQ: BIIB) will share its most recent report on Tuesday morning too. The analysts expect to see $7.94 in EPS and $3.53 billion in revenue. In the fourth quarter of last year, it posted $6.99 in EPS and $3.53 billion in revenue.
Overall, Biogen has performed the worst out of this group, with its stock down 16% in the past 52 weeks. In the past quarter, the stock is flat.
Analysts had this to say about Biogen:
- RBC’s Hold rating comes with a $285 price target.
- Canaccord Genuity has a Buy rating and a $360 price target.
- Credit Suisse has a Hold rating with a $300 target price.
- Robert Baird’s Sell rating comes with a $250 price target.
- Morgan Stanley has an Underweight rating and a $270 target.
- Cowen has a Buy rating with a $325 price target.
Biogen stock traded at $278.71 a share. The 52-week range is $215.78 to $338.87, and the consensus analyst target is $304.57.