GoDaddy Inc. (NYSE: GDDY) said it would purge a white supremacy site for which it holds the domain. According to a post by the company on Twitter:
We informed The Daily Stormer that they have 24 hours to move the domain to another provider, as they have violated our terms of service.
The move is the latest by companies that have the ability to block hate sites or communications. Twitter Inc. (NYSE: TWTR) and Facebook Inc. (NASDAQ: FB) have both made similar moves in the past.
Under the GoDaddy rules:
You acknowledge and agree that:
- Your use of this Site and the Services , including any content you submit, will comply with this Agreement and all applicable local, state, national and international laws, rules and regulations.
- You will not collect or harvest (or permit anyone else to collect or harvest) any User Content (as defined below) or any non-public or personally identifiable information about another User or any other person or entity without their express prior written consent.
- You will not use this Site or the Services in a manner (as determined by GoDaddy in its sole and absolute discretion) that:
- Is illegal, or promotes or encourages illegal activity;
- Promotes, encourages or engages in child pornography or the exploitation of children;
- Promotes, encourages or engages in terrorism, violence against people, animals, or property;
- Promotes, encourages or engages in any spam or other unsolicited bulk email, or computer or network hacking or cracking;
- Violates the Ryan Haight Online Pharmacy Consumer Protection Act of 2008 or similar legislation, or promotes, encourages or engages in the sale or distribution of prescription medication without a valid prescription;
- Infringes on the intellectual property rights of another User or any other person or entity;
- Violates the privacy or publicity rights of another User or any other person or entity, or breaches any duty of confidentiality that you owe to another User or any other person or entity;
- Interferes with the operation of this Site or the Services found at this Site;
- Contains or installs any viruses, worms, bugs, Trojan horses or other code, files or programs designed to, or capable of, disrupting, damaging or limiting the functionality of any software or hardware; or
- Contains false or deceptive language, or unsubstantiated or comparative claims, regarding GoDaddy or GoDaddy’s Services.
Broad rights, but easy to see how The Daily Stormer abused them by attacking Heather Heyer after she died at the Charlottesville white supremacist rally.