10 Most Downloaded Free Apple Apps
February 12, 2017 8:24 am
Last Updated: January 12, 2020 2:55 pm
The most downloaded apps at Apple’s (NASDAQ: AAPL) iTunes don’t change much. They are dominated by games and software from America’s largest tech companies. These are the ten most downloaded free apps
- Bitmoji – Your Personal Emoji a piece of software which allows users to create their own avatars. Often used with Snapchat. Made by Bitstrips. Company bought by Snap in 2016 for $100 million.
- Instagram. Picture sharing software. Has over 600 million active users. Works on a number of social media platforms. Also has video sharing setting. Facebook (NASDAQ: FB) bought in $2012 for slightly less than $1 billion
- Messenger. Facebook product. Instant messaging software. Grandchild of decades old AOL instant Messenger. Can be used for text and voice.
- Snapchat. Owned by Snap (NASDAQ: SNAP), which is about to launch IPO to raise $2 billion with valuation of as high as $25 billion Parent revenue growth from $59 million in 2015 to $205 million in 2016. Image instant messenger app. Used for chat and event distribution.
- YouTube. Alphabet’s (NASDAQ: GOOG) massive video site, by far the largest in the world. Large enough to make meaningful contribution to Alphabet revenue based on its advertising revenue
- Google Maps. Another Alphabet product
- Facebook. The world’s largest social network. Parent is so successful its has market cap of $387 billion which makes it 6th most valuable pubic corporation in the world. Fourth quarter 2016 revenue hit $8.8 billion, up from $5.8 billion in the same quarter a year ago.
- Uber. World’s largest ride transportation network. Currently available in over 60 countries, and over 500 cities, according to the company. Bloomberg reported that company had revenue of $1.7 billion in third quarter of last year and lost $800 million. Valuation of company has been put as low as $16 billion, and as high as $62 billion which may make it most valuable private company in the worl
- Ball pool. The only game on the list. Parent Miniclip make money on upgrades to basic game. Most popular upgrade prices range from $.99 to $9.99 Base app allows users to play pool. Miniclip is large maker of mobile games.
- Gmail. Alphabet’s email application. One of the most widely used in the world.