Below is a snapshot of some of the key impact news affecting stocks in pre-market trading this Monday, January 7, 2008:
- AllianceBernstein (AB) noted as a hidden gem in Barron’s cover story.
- Answers Corp. (ANSW) announced a collaboration with Nokia for Series 40 and S60 mobile devices.
- Avocet (AVCT) lowered guidance
- Biogen-Idec (BIIB) and Elan (ELN) say that the safety data continues to support a favorable benefit-risk profile for TYSABRI.
- Celgene Corp. (CELG) trading up 5% after guidance is in-line for 2007 and issued new guidance for 2008.
- CNET (CNET) had a Jana Partners-led investor group take a 21% stake and try to oust the board of directors.
- Diana Shipping (DSX) trading up almost 2% on positive Barron’s article over weekend.
- 8X8 Inc. (EGHT) introduced a free international mobile calling plan with its new Packet8 MobileTalk trial.
- hhgregg (HGG) reaffirmed 2008 EPS guidance of $0.95 to $1.03 vs. $1.00 est.; s-s-s up 3%.
- JA Solar (JASO) announced a 3 for 1 stock split.
- Jefferies (JEF) issued earnings warning.
- Krispy Kreme (KKD) announced it has elected a new CEO.
- Microsoft (MSFT) said at "CES" it had 100 million licenses sold of Windows Vista; 17.7 million Xbox 360’s, 10 million Xbox live users; will have new content downloads.
- Napster (NAPS) will sell music with less copyright protection as MP3 files.
- Nice Systems (NICE) received multi-million dollar orders from 2 of the top-3 US banks for fraud alert.
- Rogers Communications (RCI) raised annual dividend from $0.50 to $1.00 and put 2008 revenues $11.2 to $11.5 Billion versus $11.25 Billion estimates; announced share buyback.
- Schnitzer Steel (SCHN) missed earnings and revenue targets; stock trading down 1% so far.
- Sony (SNE) introduces new tri-recording video Camcorder at "CES".
- TASER (TASR) unveils its new leopard print TASER C2 personal protection device at the 2008 International Consumer Electronic tradeshow in Las Vegas today.
- Zumiez (ZUMZ) said December s-s-s was +3.9%, but guided lower; shares down over 1%.
Jon C. Ogg
January 7, 2007