Special Report

What a Gallon of Gas Cost the Year You Were Born

Source: NOAA's National Ocean Service / Wikimedia Commons

1989
> Price per gallon (inflation adj.): $1.00 ($1.78)
> U.S. gas consumption: 2.7 billion barrels
> Per capita gas consumption: 455.1 gallons
> U.S. oil production: 7.6 million barrels per day
> Price of a barrel of oil (inflation adj.): $15.86 ($28.28)

Source: Thinkstock

1990
> Price per gallon (inflation adj.): $1.15 ($1.96)
> U.S. gas consumption: 2.6 billion barrels
> Per capita gas consumption: 444.6 gallons
> U.S. oil production: 7.4 million barrels per day
> Price of a barrel of oil (inflation adj.): $20.03 ($34.22)

Source: Dan Lockton / Flickr

1991
> Price per gallon (inflation adj.): $1.14 ($1.88)
> U.S. gas consumption: 2.6 billion barrels
> Per capita gas consumption: 437.0 gallons
> U.S. oil production: 7.4 million barrels per day
> Price of a barrel of oil (inflation adj.): $16.54 ($27.34)

Source: stephanie phillips / Getty Images

1992
> Price per gallon (inflation adj.): $1.13 ($1.81)
> U.S. gas consumption: 2.7 billion barrels
> Per capita gas consumption: 438.1 gallons
> U.S. oil production: 7.2 million barrels per day
> Price of a barrel of oil (inflation adj.): $15.99 ($25.75)

Source: Dan Lockton / Flickr

1993
> Price per gallon (inflation adj.): $1.11 ($1.74)
> U.S. gas consumption: 2.7 billion barrels
> Per capita gas consumption: 444.6 gallons
> U.S. oil production: 6.8 million barrels per day
> Price of a barrel of oil (inflation adj.): $14.25 ($22.39)

Source: Dan Lockton / Flickr

1994
> Price per gallon (inflation adj.): $1.11 ($1.71)
> U.S. gas consumption: 2.8 billion barrels
> Per capita gas consumption: 447.6 gallons
> U.S. oil production: 6.7 million barrels per day
> Price of a barrel of oil (inflation adj.): $13.19 ($20.30)

Source: Thinkstock

1995
> Price per gallon (inflation adj.): $1.15 ($1.73)
> U.S. gas consumption: 2.8 billion barrels
> Per capita gas consumption: 454.3 gallons
> U.S. oil production: 6.6 million barrels per day
> Price of a barrel of oil (inflation adj.): $14.62 ($22.03)

Source: JustinHMoss / Getty Images

1996
> Price per gallon (inflation adj.): $1.23 ($1.82)
> U.S. gas consumption: 2.9 billion barrels
> Per capita gas consumption: 457.3 gallons
> U.S. oil production: 6.5 million barrels per day
> Price of a barrel of oil (inflation adj.): $18.46 ($27.24)

Source: Thinkstock

1997
> Price per gallon (inflation adj.): $1.23 ($1.79)
> U.S. gas consumption: 2.9 billion barrels
> Per capita gas consumption: 458.9 gallons
> U.S. oil production: 6.5 million barrels per day
> Price of a barrel of oil (inflation adj.): $17.23 ($24.99)

Source: Thinkstock

1998
> Price per gallon (inflation adj.): $1.06 ($1.52)
> U.S. gas consumption: 3.0 billion barrels
> Per capita gas consumption: 468.2 gallons
> U.S. oil production: 6.3 million barrels per day
> Price of a barrel of oil (inflation adj.): $10.87 ($15.64)