Carnival Temporarily Halts Princess Cruises After Coronavirus Impact

Photo of Jon C. Ogg
By Jon C. Ogg Published
This post may contain links from our sponsors and affiliates, and Flywheel Publishing may receive compensation for actions taken through them.
Carnival Temporarily Halts Princess Cruises After Coronavirus Impact

© pete / Wikimedia Commons

Being in the cruise industry in a time of a pandemic outbreak is tough. With recent outbreaks and quarantines on ships having been seen in recent weeks, Princess Cruises has announced a “voluntary and temporary pause” of its global ship operations for the next 60 days. Princess Cruises is part of Carnival Corp. (NYSE: CCL).

The response is of course due to the global spread of COVID-19. The move affects 18 ships and pertains to the voyages departing from March 12 to May 10. For passengers who are currently on a cruise that will end in the next five days, the press release indicated that those ships will continue to sail as expected through the end of the itinerary so that onward travel arrangements are not disrupted.

Where things get tricky here is on the current voyages already underway that extend beyond March 17. Those cruises “will be ended at the most convenient location for guests, factoring in operational requirements.” The release also said:

Princess will do everything possible to return each guest home with the greatest amount of care possible. During this time, our operations and medical teams across the fleet will remain vigilant in their care and service for guests and crew onboard.

[nativounit]

Princess said that it is offering guests the opportunity to transfer 100% of the money paid for their canceled cruise to a future cruise of their choice. The company also will add an additional future cruise credit benefit that can be applied to the fare of the cruise or toward onboard expenses:

In addition, Princess will honor this offer for those guests who had made final payment and cancelled their booking on or after February 4, 2020. The future cruise credit can be used on any voyage departing through May 1, 2022.

Jan Swartz, president of Princess Cruises, said:

By taking this bold action of voluntarily pausing the operations of our ships, it is our intention to reassure our loyal guests, team members and global stakeholders of our commitment to the health, safety and well-being of all who sail with us, as well as those who do business with us, and the countries and communities we visit around the world.

As for additional information, see the press release on PRNewswire.

[recirclink id=651490]

[wallst_email_signup]

Photo of Jon C. Ogg
About the Author Jon C. Ogg →

Jon Ogg has been a financial news analyst since 1997. Mr. Ogg set up one of the first audio squawk box services for traders called TTN, which he sold in 2003. He has previously worked as a licensed broker to some of the top U.S. and E.U. financial institutions, managed capital, and has raised private capital at the seed and venture stage. He has lived in Copenhagen, Denmark, as well as New York and Chicago, and he now lives in Houston, Texas. Jon received a Bachelor of Business Administration in finance at University of Houston in 1992. www.247wallst.com.

Continue Reading

Top Gaining Stocks

ENPH Vol: 20,331,230
DXCM Vol: 11,133,392
FDS Vol: 1,192,775
WDAY Vol: 5,160,389
NOW Vol: 34,569,747

Top Losing Stocks

CTRA Vol: 73,319,495
GLW Vol: 17,221,470
COIN Vol: 14,429,129
F Vol: 108,272,348
MU Vol: 48,532,352