Wal-Mart Stores Inc. (NYSE: WMT) has released a huge list of Black Friday specials. It has to have a good holiday season to silence skeptics who think America’s largest retailer can no longer grow, at least in America. Like most retailers, it kicks off its sales over the Thanksgiving weekend as a means to draw early shoppers.
As another way to reach a larger customer base than it has in previous years, all holiday sales will be offered online:
For the first time ever, the majority of Walmart’s Black Friday deals will be available on Walmart.com – including many of the top items such as televisions, video game consoles and small home appliances – beginning at 12:01 a.m. PT on Thanksgiving morning. Then, Black Friday will begin in stores at 6:00 p.m. on Thanksgiving Day. New this year, Walmart’s mobile users can get a first look at the retailer’s Black Friday circular, available today through the Walmart app.
The retailer is pushing its app, probably because the app encourages customers not to wander to other sites.
Wal-Mart’s promotions for the Thanksgiving weekend, which include Black Friday, are focused on consumer electronics and related products, particularly televisions and movies.
Among the products Wal-Mart is pushing the hardest:
- 10 Televisions, including a Roku 32” Class Smart HDTV for $125 (special buy), 40” Class HDTV for $149 (special buy) and Samsung 55” Class Curved Smart 4K UHD TV for $998 ($200 savings)
- Fitness Wearables like the Fitbit Flex Wristband for $59 ($40 savings) and the Fitbit Charge HR Heart Rate + Activity Wristband for $119 ($30 savings)
- More than 100 video games many starting at $8 as well as NBA2K16, Madden ’16 and FIFA ’16 for Xbox One for $27 each ($32.88 savings)
- Video Game Console bundles including a PlayStation 4 Uncharted Bundle for $299 ($50 savings)
- More than 800 DVDs and Blu-ray movies many starting at $1.96
- Home appliances for $9.72 each including an Oster 8-Speed Blender, Crock-Pot Stainless 5-Qt. Slow Cooker and 12-cup Programmable Black & Decker Coffee Maker
- Hot toys including a Star Wars Lightsaber for $5 ($3.94 savings), the Sky Viper X-Quad Stunt R/C Drone for $25 (special buy) and the LEGO or Duplo Large Creative Box for $30 (special buy)
- Hotel Style Cotton-Rich 850-Thread Count Sheet Set for $25 (special buy)
- Children’s licensed sleepwear starting at $4.75 (special buy)
Management will have to wait until the end of the year to find out if these discounts worked or, on the other hand, if they brought in too little inventory of the items to fulfill all the demand.