The 10 States With the Most Wal-Mart Stores
Wal-Mart Stores Inc. (NYSE: WMT) has 4,953 locations in the United States. Of those, 563 are in Texas, the state with the most locations. A look at Wal-Mart store locations shows just how regional the company, which employs over 1.3 million Americans, is. According to a recent 24/7 Wall St. analysis, Wal-Mart is the largest employer in 20 states.
The 10 states with the most Wal-Mart locations are as follows:
1. Texas has 563 locations, which employ 156,195 people. The state also has 19 distribution centers that feed Wal-Mart stores with merchandise. Texas is the leader among all states by this measure. The stores represent 11% of all Wal-Mart locations
2. Florida has 343 locations, which employ 94,822 people. The state has eight distribution centers. The store count is 7% of the Wal-Mart total.
3. California has 296 Wal-Mart locations, which employ 81,326 people. The state also has 14 distribution centers. California has 6% of the total Wal-Mart stores.
So, three states have a quarter of all Wal-Mart locations.
4. North Carolina has 210 Wal-Mart stores, which employ 49,084 people. The retailer has four distribution centers in the state. North Carolina has 4% of all Wal-Mart locations.
5. Georgia has 206 Wal-Mart locations, which is 4% of the national total, that employ 50,928 people. There are also seven distribution centers in the state.
So, five states have almost a third of Wal-Mart locations.
6. Illinois has 197 locations, which employ 51,137 people. The state has seven distribution centers. Nearly 4% of all Wal-Mart stores are in Illinois.
7. Ohio has 175 locations and five distribution centers, which among them employ 46,974. The Ohio stores are 3.5% of the Wal-Mart total.
8. Pennsylvania has 160 locations and seven distribution centers. These Wal-Mart locations employ 47,054 people and are just above 3% of the national total.
9. Missouri has 154 locations, four distribution centers and 40,316 employees. The state has 3% of all Wal-Mart locations.
10. Tennessee has 141 Wal-Mart locations and three distribution centers, which employ 38,569 workers. The state has just under 3% of all Wal-Mart workers in America.
So, among them these 10 states have half of all Wal-Mart locations.