July was not a good month for new car sales in the United States. In fact, 2017 has been, so far, kind of a downer. The big question is how much sales will fall year over year. U.S. consumers purchased some 17.55 million cars and light trucks last year, and most estimates for this year are right around 16.9 million new vehicle purchases.
Complicating the outlook even more are swollen inventories of 2017 models as carmakers prepare to release new 2018 models. To bring inventories into line with purchases, manufacturers have two main levers: reducing production and raising incentives. That second one is the best news for consumers, and a look at Kelley Blue Book’s list of the 10 best new car deals shows why.
Jack Nerad, executive editorial director and executive market analyst at KBB, explains:
As dealers begin preparing their lots for incoming 2018 model-year vehicles, right now new-car shoppers can snag an excellent deal on a new 2017 model, with many offers extending through Labor Day. Each vehicle on this month’s list has won multiple KBB.com accolades this year, with the top spot on our list reserved for one of our 10 Best SUVs Under $25,000 for 2017 – the Toyota RAV4. Also featured is the Honda Accord, Kelley Blue Book’s Most Awarded Car for 2017.
KBB’s analysts have parsed the offers and created a list of the 10 best lease, financing and cash back deals available at least through the end of August. Some deals could last through the Labor Day holiday weekend, and all feature model year 2017 vehicles.
Here’s KBB’s list with the manufacturer’s suggested retail price and the highlights of the deals on offer this month.
- 2017 Toyota RAV4: MSRP of $25,370; 36-month lease with $1,999 due at signing and monthly payments of $199
- 2017 Honda Accord: $24,130; 36-month lease with $1,999 down due at signing and monthly payments of $189
- 2017 Toyota Corolla: $21,330; 36-month lease with $1,999 due at signing and monthly payments of $159
- 2017 Kia Soul: $18.595; $1,000 cash back and 0% financing
- 2017 Honda HR-V: $23,255; 36-month lease with $2,299 due at signing and monthly payments of $179
- 2017 Ford Fusion: $24,125; $4,500 cash back
- 2017 Toyota Camry: $23,955; 36-month lease with $1,999 due at signing and monthly payments of $189
- 2016 Kia Sportage: $24,095; 36-month lease with $2,199 due at signing and monthly payments of $199
- 2017 Subaru Outback: $26,520; 36-month lease with $1,729 due at signing and monthly payments of $229
- 2017 Hyundai Sonata: $22,785; $4,100 cash back
Additional details on the vehicles are available at the KBB website.