With the end of the year two weeks away, 10 stocks have already had gains of more than 400%. Investors in these stocks have been, if they held them for the year, wildly successful.
1. American Airlines Group Inc. (NASDAQ: AAL) shares are up 3,165%. This is, of course, for people who bought shares at bankruptcy levels. After its merger with U.S. Airways, shares moved to $26, well out of the penny stock range where they began.
2. Zone Technologies Inc. (NASDAQ: ZHNE) shares are higher by 980% to $5.08. The network equipment maker traded at low as $0.26. The company’s service revenue rose 77% to $6.2 million in the first nine months of the year.
3. Several solar stocks rose sharply in 2013. First among these is Canadian Solar Inc. (NASDAQ: CSIQ), with shares up 815% to $31.12. According to Bloomberg, “More than 41 percent of the Guelph, Ontario-based company’s third-quarter revenue came from developing solar farms, especially in Canada, up from 22 percent a year earlier. That led to net income of $27.7 million.” Most of the company’s manufacturing is done in China.
4. Shares in China Information Technology Inc. (NASDAQ: CNIT) have risen 647% to $6.80. In the first half, revenue increased 26.1% to $37.3 million. However, the company lost $50.5 million in the same period. According to the public corporation, it provides information technologies (IT) and display technologies (DT).
5. Shares in Corporate Resource Services Inc. (NASDAQ: CRRS) have risen 622% to $3.25. The company provides staffing and recruiting services. It “announced results for the third quarter ended October 4, 2013, which included quarterly revenues of $209.0 million, an increase of 16% over the same quarter in 2012.”
6. Shares in SuperCom Ltd. (NASDAQ: SPCB) have risen 550% so far this year to $387. The provider of e-ID, security, health care, home care and electronic monitoring solutions announced that, in its fiscal second quarter, revenue increased by 7% to $1.87 million, compared to $1.75 million last year.
7. Lannett Co. Inc. (NYSE: LCI) is up 521% to $30.81. The company began to trade on the New York Stock Exchange on December 13. According to Lannett, it develops, manufactures, packages, markets and distributes generic pharmaceutical products.
8. Shares in Gray Television Inc. (NYSE: GTN) are up 512% so far this year to $13.46. According to AP, “Gray and Excalibur Broadcasting LLC said that they reached a series of deals through which they will acquire a total of 15 television stations in seven markers from Hoak Media LLC and Parker Broadcasting Inc. for about $335 million in cash.”
9. Shares in VisionChina Media Inc. (NASDAQ: VISN) rose 457% to $17.33. The company announced third-quarter revenues of $28.5 million, a decrease of 14.0% from $33.2 million in the third quarter of 2012.
10. Puma Biotechnology Inc. (NASDAQ: PBYI) shares rose 434% to $100.30. The development stage biopharmaceutical company reported a net loss applicable to common stock of $14.3 million.