Because of Earth Day and because of a strong performance, Jim Cramer came on CNBC’s MAD MONEY tonight after a week off and said he wanted to revisit which ones to buy and hold now that the entire portfolio he gave is up some 76.8% (or up about 35% on an ex-First Solar basis). Down below you can see the updates from the past to see what he said, but first are the ones he reviewed:
- First Solar (NASDAQ: FSLR) up over 300%, but it doesn’t need subsidies. He thinks the new administration will bring it in. The payback is cheaper and faster because it doesn’t need silicon. Cramer noted that this was to solar what Intel was to chips. He wants to stick with it.
- Foster Wheeler (NASDAQ: FWLT) has risen 97% and is his favorite infrastructure play, which should work even higher. Cramer thinks this one can be bought now without a pullback.
- Shaw Group Inc. (NYSE: SGR) is the play on nuclear energy and he would stick with this one.
- BorgWarner Inc. (NYSE: BWA) was play for clean emissions, but he thinks this one should be dumped.
- MEMC Electronic Materials Inc. (NYSE: WFR) is also up big but Cramer thinks this should be dumped because of recent execution problems.
- Tetra Tech (NASDAQ: TTEK) was a water play that rose only about 1.6%, but it is becoming the right place because of rapidly deteriorating domestic infrastructure. It now has a wind energy company. He thinks you can buy it now.
- FuelTech (NASDAQ: FTEK) has come back off since he said SELL, but now you can reload on it. He said sell it once, and he thinks it is going up on increasing efficiency of coal plants. He also likes that insiders have been buying stock recently.
- OM Group (NYSE: OMG) is an emissions play, but now that it has recovered you can take profits in OM Group or just sell it.
Here was the summary for Cramer’s "original" Alternative Energy & Green Stocks if you want to compare then to now.
We have been highlighting some of the smaller green tech and alternative or renewable energy picks in our own weekly "10 Stocks Under $10" newsletter. Of those picks, our Capstone Turbine Corp. (NASDAQ: CPST) is up roughly 150% and the only "selling" we have yet to note is perhaps some profit taking to lock in a portion of your gains, but we think this one is heading higher. Our other pick has only been on the list in the under $10.00 newsletter for a few weeks, and it is already up about 30% since. We actually just raised our expectations on this one.
Jon C. Ogg
April 21, 2008