We haven’t been covering Jim Cramer as much for many different reasons, but we still pay attention when he comes out with stock picks because it can still affect at least the short term trading in some stocks. On today’s STOP TRADING segment on CNBC, Cramer’s six quick picks today were Verizon Communications (NYSE: VZ), US Steel (NYSE: X), Peabody Energy (NYSE: BTU), Caterpillar (NYSE: CAT), Bristol-Myers Squibb (NYSE: BMY), and Quanta Services (NYSE: PWR). that are liquid large cap stocks:
- Verizon Communications (NYSE: VZ) not so bad, but buy tomorrow after analysts cut numbers… he likes cash flows.
- US Steel (NYSE: X) is one to own for the infrastructure plan, andbesides that it still posted a profit and he still likes it if thecompany doesn’t get infrastructure pacts.
- Peabody Energy (NYSE: BTU)… India was a growth spot, coal plantsare still going to be here in 20 years regardless of Obama and thesecan’t be decommissioned.
- Caterpillar (NYSE: CAT) with a 5% yield and even with the reduced forecast, he thinks it is making a base.
- Bristol-Myers Squibb (NYSE: BMY) is one that is generally hated, but he thinks it got its act together with raised numbers.
- Quanta Services (NYSE: PWR) is a grid upgrade play and it is winning contracts with all the expertise in electricity.
Jon C. Ogg
January 27, 2009