Short Sellers Betting Against Solar, Most Alt Energy Stocks

Print Email

Short interest moves among solar and alternative energy stocks were mixed during the two-week reporting period that ended on October 31. Of the companies we watch, short interest rose on all three solar stocks and on three of five alternative energy stocks.

First Solar Inc. (NASDAQ: FSLR) saw short interest rise by a whopping 40.5% to 9.05 million shares, which represents about 12.1% of the company’s float. Days to cover fell from six to four. In the two-week short interest period, the stock’s share price fell by about 9.2%. Its 52-week range is $36.51 to $81.72, and it closed at $42.22 on Friday, down about 1% for the day.

SunPower Corp. (NASDAQ: SPWR) short interest rose 10.4% to 22.23 million shares, or 36.4% of the company’s float. In the two weeks to October 31, the share price fell by about 9.3%. The stock’s 52-week range is $5.76 to $10.00, and it closed at $6.25 on Friday, down about 0.2% for the day. Days to cover fell from 12 to 11.

Canadian Solar Inc. (NASDAQ: CSIQ) saw an increase of 23.9% in short interest during the period. Some 9.6% of the total float, or 4.29 million shares, were short and days to cover fell from seven to five. The company’s shares traded down about 1.2% over the two weeks, and shares closed Friday at $14.27, down about 0.4% for the day, in a 52-week range of $11.37 to $19.09.

Bloom Energy Corp. (NYSE: BE) short interest rose by 5.8% in the final weeks of October. Some 3.41 million shares were short, representing 19.7% of the company’s total float. Days to cover increased from seven to nine, and the stock price fell by about 9.1% during the two-week period. Shares closed Friday at $19.45, up about 7.5% for the day, in a 52-week range of $17.11 to $38.00.

FuelCell Energy Inc. (NASDAQ: FCEL) posted a rise of 16.8% in short interest during the period. Some 11.9 million shares were short as of October 31, about 12.9% of the total float. The stock closed at $0.88 on Friday, down about 3% for the day, in a 52-week range of $0.72 to $2.17. Shares traded down about 15.9% in the short interest period, and days to cover remained unchanged at 12.

Plug Power Inc. (NASDAQ: PLUG) saw short interest decrease by 4.1% to 35.09 million shares. Days to cover fell from 17 to 15, and about 16.6% of the company’s shares were short. In the two weeks to October 31, the share price dipped by about 2.1%. The stock’s 52-week range is $1.53 to $2.59, and shares closed Friday at $1.87, down about 3.6% for the day.

Clean Energy Fuels Corp. (NASDAQ: CLNE) saw an increase of 8% in short interest to 4.98 million shares. About 3.7% of the company’s float was short, and days to cover rose from five to seven. The share price dropped by 7.9% in the two-week period. The stock closed at $2.42 on Friday, down about 8.3% for the day, in a 52-week range of $1.31 to $4.05.

Pacific Ethanol Inc. (NASDAQ: PEIX) saw short interest fall by 8.8% in the period to 1.04 million shares, about 2.4% of the company’s float. Days to cover remained unchanged at one. The stock price fell by about 23% in the two weeks to October 31. Shares closed at $1.74 on Friday, down about 1.7% for the day, in a 52-week range of $1.38 to $4.90.